Monday, March 1, 2010

The "Brad Wear" Has Arrived...


I wanted to get something small to give to family and friends as a symbol of all the thanks and support we have received for Brad. I'm excited to announce that the official "lymphomaniac Brad bracelet" has arrived - yep, that is Brad's lovely wrist modeling it in the picture above. I was SO excited to see it arrive today! If you decide that you would like to be an official member of the club, just send me an e-mail and let me know (sandywirt@cox.net) and I would be more than happy to drop one in the mail to you. Todd, Kevin, Chad, Mom & Dad - no RSVPs are needed from you - yours are already set aside for you and your families :) One side of the bracelet reads: "Gone Green For Brad" (since lime green is the ribbon color for lymphoma) and the other side of the bracelet reads: "Faith * Love * Cure".

This past week has honestly been better than we anticipated, but still rough to see Brad so tired and not his normal self. He spent most of the week shuffling between our bed, the couch and the recliner chair that we have placed in the living room for his comfort. Thanks Mom and Dad for deciding that after 20 years you all needed to get new chairs so we could get your hand me down - it is a WONDERFUL addition and makes the uncomfortable nights when Brad can't sleep and decides to respond to work e-mail or do Facebook in the middle of the night much, much nicer!! Other than restless nights, lots of nausea, utter exhaustion, and his mouth and throat sores, Brad is so strong and I couldn't be a more proud wife.

The day after chemo, Brad immediately noticed his taste for things changed. The only drink he can drink (and enjoy) is iced tea, although finally after 7 days since treatment, he had a cup of coffee today and said it kinda tasted like coffee again (we're hoping this means his taste buds are coming back until Round 2). Additionally, he has discovered that potatoes are one of the few foods he can eat that really haven't changed in taste no matter how they are prepared. This is great news since tea and potatoes are honestly some of his favorites - we are really thankful to have found a few "comforts" for him during the past week.

Brad has been a real trooper during the week and today he went to work for a few hours which was great so that he could get out and about a bit. Especially since he spent most of last week cooped up in the house, getting out was a good morale booster for him.

We have many thanks to issue in this blog (please accept my dearest apology if I missed somebody on this list):

1. To all of Brad's family for their never-ending support. We are so, so lucky and blessed to have each of you helping us get through this in so many ways - thank you. Whether near or afar, Brad's diagnosis truly is bringing our family closer together and we are very thankful for that!

2. To our next door neighbors Pat and Wayne for the delicious roast they prepared for us last week!

3. A special thanks to Brad's brother Todd for taking two weeks away from his family and work to come home from Hawaii. It was wonderful having you home!

4. To Chad & Cathy Kropff for the delicious delivery of milkshakes for Brad and me (fortunately, I have my taste buds and could enjoy it more than Brad)!

5. To Kim (Brad's cousin) & family for the surprise drop off of iced-tea on our porch last week!

6. To the employees at Brad's branch of East Coast Metals for the surprise donation of gift cards for Brad to put toward whatever need arises.

7. To Chad (Brad's brother) for coming by to hook up wireless internet at our house this past weekend - we just figured out how to make the phone work again :)

8. To Lisa (Brad's cousin) & family for the delicious dinner and beautiful plant that was delivered tonight.

We know we are so very fortunate and that sadly, there are others out there who make this journey without anybody by their side. Please keep them in your thoughts - we saw a couple of patients at the cancer center last week without anybody there to support them. I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart that there will not be one chemo session that Brad will attend alone. Thanks for all the continued support, happy thoughts and prayers you're sending our way.

Love,
Sandy


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also a big thank you to you Sandy. It helped me with you being beside me all the way though the treatment and hell week. To think about it I beleive my mouth and throat sores came from hollering at you to fix me my mashed taters. After looking at the bill for the treatment today I believe you and my family will need to be washing dishes at the hospital on my next treatment. Love ya