Tuesday, March 23, 2010


So it has been a week since the second treatment and let me go over the past 7 days. This treatment has been a lot different on me than the first treatment in regards to the way I feel but I will go over that later. So if you truly know me then you know that I am this real tough man who can deal with about anything. I love to hunt with my bare hands, pick fights with motorcycle gangs, shoot, I will even get tattoos with a rusty needle but I have never had anything that would drop me on my rear more than this chemo. The first treatment wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I got waited on hand and foot and I got to eat all the mashed potatoes I wanted.

So let me go over the past 7 days and let you know how this tough man is doing. It all started last Tuesday morning at breakfast. Avery, Sandy and I have started this tradition of going out for breakfast on the morning of chemo so we can ease Avery's mind and I can have some normal food before everything kicks in. So after dropping Avery at school we went on to the treatment center and started treatment. Upon minutes of starting chemo I could feel and taste the effects of the second round. After a couple hours of treatment I became very sleepy but I don't like to sleep when people are sitting around me so I tried fighting it but the chemo won and I took about an hour nap. Later I was pleasantly surprised by Avery coming and seeing me and that totally lifted my spirits until the precious child and wife decided to play dress up. If you have not noticed the Goldielocks pic then now would be a good time.

So in a nutshell I feel like an old man in this young, firm, tough body that I have. I wake up in the morning by dropping about 5 pills, I have an ensure shake, I have to have soft foods like mashed potatoes, I have to take Metamucil, oh let see what else. Oh yea, I look forward to sitting in a recliner doing cross word puzzles and taking my mid day nap. I have to sit very close to everything because my focus is not very good. Hold on please while I wipe the drool from my mouth. So if you ask me how I am doing, I might stare at you but it's only because I can't hear you. Even with all these great side effects from chemo the best part is I don't feel any more BOB's on my body so that means that this crap is working. I look forward to the day that this mess is over but until then I will continue to fight on.

Brad

6 comments:

Misty Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misty Adams said...

Brad & Sandy,
I have never met such a strong and loving couple as you two are.
Brad, I hate you are having to go through this, but feel you are so blessed to have such an incredible wife to take care of you and hold your hand right now.
I am truly honored to share Avery with you both.
Take care and as always, I'm here for anything either of you need.
Misty

Michael Bushnell said...

Keep on fighting man. I know it sucks, but you will get through it.

David McKee said...

fishin' pole awaits! Hang in there, young man! Lots of folks sending thoughts and prayers your way!

Jilladair said...

When you're sitting alone in that recliner ... doing your crossword puzzle feeling like an old man, know that God knew you could handle being an example of what a strong, loving, courageous man looks like to the rest of the world and know that is why he knew you could handle all of this. I love you. Jilladair

Mike Adams said...

Our prayers are with you and your family and wish you only the best. Always looked at you more as a friend. The tattoo with a rusty needle thing... Don't forget I was there ,lol. That care Brad, my grandson needs you.

Mike Adams and family