Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bone Marrow Biopsy and Meet Dr. Fintel...


So this afternoon was Brad's bone marrow biopsy - I'll let him soon explain what that was like, but the picture above is Brad with Dr. Fintel AFTER the biopsy - I guess the fact that he's smiling is a good sign.

Brad was prepared for severe back trauma today and luckily, it wasn't as bad for him as he expected! I went with him into the office where the procedure was performed so that I could pull out the handy, dandy question journal and proceed to drill Dr. Fintel with the randomness that pops into our heads at all hours of the day. I mean really, if he is going to spend his time drilling into Brad, why can't I spend my time drilling him? We will find out the results of the biopsy on Friday, January 22nd.

We found out this morning that Brad's consultation appointment (and additional testing/procedures) will take place on Monday, February 1st at Duke University's Adult Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant Center. It is a 4-5 hour appointment, with a two hour drive each way. The best news is that Brad's insurance company has approved Brad to be treated at Duke if necessary. According to Dr. Fintel, the transplant procedure can be controversial as to when it is performed. There are many physicians that like to see it done after all other methods of treatment have been exhausted. In Brad's case, Dr. Fintel estimates that there's about a 90% chance that they will find the lymphoma in his bone marrow and that whether it be in the near future or put off (like some Docs prefer) at some point in Brad's life, he will without question need a bone marrow transplant.

Armed with the knowledge that this cancer is one which easily relapses and cannot be cured without the transplant, Brad wants to immediately pull out the "big guns" and go right for the transplant despite the horrible case studies he has been reading about other patients. In his mind, he can avoid the worry that comes along with wondering every couple of years when (not "if") the lymphoma will return.

I'm going to turn the keyboard over to Brad (yes, the funny one!) to let him give his version of what happened today...

Sorry if my typing or words aren't the best, but either I am standing or sitting on a pillow. Dr. Fintel WAS a great doctor until he decided to run a cork screw which felt like a rusty deck screw into my right hip. Where do I start? Well I received a warm welcome into the lab by drawing blood. After that wonderful welcome they moved me to a small room with a 4 foot bed. I am not sure if you noticed, but I am 6-4.

I layed there while Dr. Fintel lathered my back side up with what looked to me like honey mustard. The whole time while Dr. Fintel was numbing my toosh Sandy just kept asking questions and he just kept answering them while he worked. All I can say is I am very happy he can multi task because if he couldn't it would have gotten really bad, quickly. The next thing I know was that it felt like Dr. Fintel was turning something into my hip. It felt as if he was making homemade ice cream back there.

I felt absolutely no pain until he hit the bone and even then it wasn't bad. After he was done I asked the nurse (who says I have beautiful eyes - I need to get her name) whether he was done. She said he was done with the first sample and he only needed one more. It wasn't pleasurable but it really didn't bother me. I would do it everyday if I knew that would cure this disease that BOB forgot to take with him.

Thanks for staying caught up with us and for all the wonderful thoughts you're sending our way.

Much love,

Brad and Sandy

4 comments:

Kendra said...

Sandy and Brad- I think it's great that you(sandy) have a question journal and you are able to go w/ Brad to appts. I know in my experience with cancer,I had to rely on Chad,my husband. he came to every appt. with me and asked A LOT of questions that I didn't even think of and plus by the time I was on my second round of chemo,I had "chemo brain" and sometimes couldn't think straight. And Brad, I commend you on getting drilled into...unlike colon cancer I've had my fill of RECTAL exams!!! So I feel your "pain"...in a diff. way .LOL ! Stay strong in the Lord,your marriage and believe me, this disease will test you in many ways! Praying for you all!

shay said...

Congrats on making a hard decision! Cancer and all the decisions that come along with it are not easy!I saw the link to your blog on Misty's FB. I am in remission now...not Lymphoma, but Squamous Cell Carcinom of the Tongue. Good luck to you and I will be sending lots of prayers up for you both!

timi said...

love to both of you from across the miles.... i wish i could be there to offer more support, but if there is ANYTHING at all I can do let me know.

Brad, Sandy and Avery said...

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. There is no way my family and I could get through this if it wasn't for all the support and love that we have been receiving. Yes it's great Kendra that Sandy carries that question book with her. It's kind of weird having that screw half way in your back and Dr. Fintel stopping to answering question but she is asking questions I never even thought of asking.

I am sorry to hear Mrs. Grant that you also were battling this disease. I am glad to hear that you are in remission.

Thank you Timi, even though you might be miles away prayers work just as good as if you were our neighbors.